Welcome To Our Blog :)

rss

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1L Blues Reloaded: Swoll Like Tookie

{The "Reloaded" series features blog posts that were heavy on our minds, but that did not make it to "press" until the school year ended; this can be blamed on a lack of time, laziness etc.}

[on left Pikachu not knowing her own strength, breaks the arm of a law library chair. *swoll* LOL]

Hello World,

Since we left off, I’m still happy and ready to go on a much needed vacay. Before I skip town, I simply had to blog about my gym journey here in the District with Pikachu (Kyra) Sims.

Besides law school, the gym got a lot of our time and sometimes it trumped studying #justsayin.

I’ve been called “bag lady” by my so called friends whom I love dearly and I’m pretty sure that I’ve been called “bag lady” in the minds of HUSL folks that I have never spoken to. On a typical day at school, I had my backpack (stuffed to capacity) along with a book in hand (ridiculous, I know) and my trusty gym bag in tow. I’m sure many wondered why and all I can say is that the gym has been one of the best stress relievers, and because of the fact that the pounds can pack on quick in law school. We refused to let our quest for a JD result in the demise of our girly figures. In undergrad, it’s the “Freshmen Fifteen” and in law school it’s the “1L Twenty Five” and then some. We joined Gold’s Gym during 1L year to combat this. We resolved to work out every day (minus weekends usually) and work on our fitness; we’ve been consistent and we’ve actually yielded good results. 2L year was definitely when we got EXTRA serious about it…maybe a little too serious.

So first semester, we went a little overboard with our regimen. We were kind of calorie deficient and so we were sleepy, lethargic and all that bad stuff. Man cannot live on protein bars alone. Or greek yogurt, or even turkey tostadas. Especially, since we were burning 600+ calories in spinning class or doing some major weightlifting in Body Pump class.

By second semester, we got in the groove. We found a healthy balance and got even more creative with our meals. We hit up Whole Foods and Safeway and tried to make some smart choices. And we never bought food from the school cafeteria; I think it helped save us a lot of money. Gold’s was our second home…so much so that one of the trainers stopped us on one occasion and asked about our plans & goals and offered us a maybe free (?) personal training session. We’ll never know what would have come from this session because this trainer was always booked up =/; maybe next school year we’ll see what he has to offer. We still went to spinning (loved the Britney Spears tribute sessions), went to Abs Class (and wanted to cry), kept up with body pump (and limped through campus on the subsequent days) and most interestingly, we shook our asses and dropped it low in Zumba class. All in all, we lost a collective 30 lbs (woop woop).

The real test will be whether we can keep the pounds off during the summer. I shall miss my resident gym buddy over the next couple months! If we find ourselves back sliding, we can play this so serious that it's funny gym jam. Hopefully, we'll stay on our regimen and get swoll like Tookie wit it:

Happy Summer People,

UBU

0 comments:

Post a Comment