Welcome To Our Blog :)

rss

Monday, November 19, 2012

Black Girl Fly.


It’s been months since a blog post. Since we had to go to class. Since I’ve seen my co-bloggers faces!
A few posts back I discussed the end of this blog upon graduation, but I think that was a bit premature. There was a huge elephant in the room that hung around for the past three years, and especially during our 12 days of graduation period: The Bar Exam. Looking back, I reflect on how we complained or sometimes whined about our 1Lblues. I can now say that there were no blues comparable to the process of studying for the bar exam. We parted ways and prayed for each other. We studied all over: DC, Michigan, California. We went from spending almost every day together for the past three years, to being completely spread apart.

Summer 2012 aka the Lost Summer was a summer of solitude. We sent sporadic texts and had email threads to share tips and to just keep each other motivated. We shared our worries and fears about all aspects of the exam.  Being a hermit and studying alone reminded me of how much I loved and missed my crew. There were no late night group study sessions or late night dance parties on the 4th floor of the library when delirium kicked in. But despite the loneliness, distance didn't really separate us after all. We became closer.

While awaiting results, I prayed that I would be blessed enough to type the words that appear in this post. I even drafted out a rough draft of this entry on November 5; 11 days before I found out my fate. I came across Psalm 17:17. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” That’s us. We’ve had about 3 years of adversity, and I’ve gained more sisters. And even if the outcome would have been different for me, I know that they would still have been there to support me. We are all BLESSED to have made it with passing results: Michigan, Check. New York AND New Jersey, Check. California, Check.

And so, even though it’s been months since we’ve seen each other, it doesn’t feel like it’s been all that long because the three of us developed real ties that bind. I have always thought that meeting Kyra and Nicole was a true blessing. Some may say it was just fate. Sims, Tull, Uwan…we just flowed together. Thank you for being there, you ladies mean the world to me. This was just one hurdle for us, and I’m sure life will throw many more our way. It just feels great to have jumped over this one together. It’s not going to be easy, but I’m sure that with more hard work and dedication, many opportunities will come along for us. The possibilities are truly endless, and the sky is the limit; watch those Black Girls Fly.

 With Much Love & Emo Rageness,

UBU


0 comments:

Post a Comment